Institute of Stomatology, Riga Stradins University

67455586

Mo-Fri 8:00-20:00
Sat,Sun: closed

About Clinic of Orthodontics


The traditions of orthodontics in Latvia date back to 1925, when Privatdocent Adam Erlein was invited from the University of Heidelberg. In October 1925 he was elected Privatdocent of the University of Latvia (UL) and appointed head of UL Institute of Dentistry, Department of Prosthetics and Orthodontics.

After the war the number of orthodontists and medical doctors who were not specialized in the field of orthodontics could be counted on the fingers of one hand. In 1957 first inter-republic conference in orthodontics with participants from all Soviet republics took place. The fact that in 1960s Riga was chosen as a location for qualification raising base for orthodontists from Soviet republics testifies to the popularity of Latvian school of orthodontics.

The opening of iron curtain and regaining of Latvia's independence marked the new era in the development of orthodontics in Latvia. In the late 1980s and early 1990s new opportunities to get acquainted with Western clinics of orthodontics emerged, the generation change in the field of orthodontics emerged, the generation change in the field of orthodontics took place. Dr. Dace Ošleja became a head of the Department of Orthodontics, whereas, prof.Ilga Urtāne- a head of the study programme "Orthodontics".

There was a need for the development of new study programmes, introduction of new technologies for diagnostics and treatment, and above all the development of science and establishment of the speciality of orthodontics with residency studies. Cooperation with World Health Organization was established, and in 1992 the research on the distribution and detection of periodont in conformity with internationally approved methodology was carried out.

Inclusion of the institute in the European "EURO-QUAL" project (1994-1999) aimed at the development of quality standards in orthodontics was very essential. Within the framework of this project, the institute established cooperation with the Clinics of Orthodontics of the University of Oslo and its head Professor Arlid Stenvik (Norway) for the assessment of the quality of the treatment in orthodontics. This cooperation is ongoing, as Associate Professor Gundega Jākobsone has developed doctoral thesis that will be defended at the University of Oslo. Thanks to the cooperation with the University of Wales in the field of orthognatic maxillofacial surgery initiated by Professor Andrejs Skaģers, the institute has established cooperation also in the field of orthodontics with the head of the Clinics of Orthodontics of the University of Cardiff Professor Malcolm Jones. For the past years, the institute has started cooperating with the University of Boston in the field of the application of piezo-incision method for faster teeth displacement and detection of density and structure of minerals of jaw bone. Thanks to the initiative of Malcolm Jones, in 2001 examination centre for specialists in the field of orthodontics of Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (RCSE) was established at the institute. Thus, cooperation with the head of the Clinics of Orthodontics of the University of Edinburgh Jim McDonald started. Henceforth, Professor of the University of Cardiff Peter Durning has given a great contribution to the work of the examination centre and preparation of the candidates. This examination has been organized once in two years. Specialists having obtained the qualification of orthodontist in their home countries and willing to obtain higher professional qualification and become the members of RCSE are eligible for passing this examination. Already in 2003, specialists of the Clinic of Orthodontics of the Institute of Stomatology Gundega Jākobsone, Dace Čakārne and Ieva Fiļipova passed this exam followed by a number of other specialists of the institute. Gold Medal of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh was awarded to Assistant Professor Andris Ābeltiņš.

Whereas, in June 2004 Professor Ilga Urtāne received the title of RCSE Honorary Member, and in 2012 she was awarded RCSE Gold Medal for international cooperation.

In 1998 the Department of Orthodontics lead by Professor Ilga Urtāne was established and this event marked the turning point in the development of orthodontics in Latvia. In 1981, Professor I.Urtāne defended doctoral thesis on the topic "Reaction of Gums and Hard Palate in Children Undergoing Treatment of Dental and Jaw Anomalies Applying Removable Equipment" in Moscow. Alongside with being a head of the Institute of Stomatology and Clinic of Orthodontics, in 2014 she was elected dean of the Faculty of Stomatology.

Work executed in the Department of Orthodontics was closely related with clinical work, therefore, the Clinic of Orthodontics was established following organizational structure of the institute. Thus, academic staff is involved in the clinical work, whereas, medical doctors- in the academic work.

Several directions have been established in the field of clinical and scientific orthodontics: paediatric and adult orthodontics, orthodontics in relation with orthognatic surgery and cleft lip and palate and facial cleft paediatric orthodontics. "Orthognatic group" lead by Associate Professor Gundega Jākobsone has been grounded. For a long time the following specialists have worked within this group: oral and maxillofacial surgeons Professor Andrejs Skaģers, Dr Ģirts Šalms, Dr. Andris Bīgestāns, Dr. Gunārs Lauskis and orthodontists Professor Ilga Urtāne, Assistant Professor Andris Ābeltiņš, Dr Dace Ošleja. Whereas, orthodontic specialists Dr Inese Mauliņa, Dr Ieva Mauliņa and Dr Inta Zepa in cooperation with Cleft, Lip and Palate Centre works within the direction of cleft lip and palate and facial cleft paediatric orthodontics.